Writing academic English

• Khởi xướng TranDaiNghia
  • Ngày gửi
T

TranDaiNghia

Hi everybody. I am newbie. I am very interesting with professional English. My English is not well now, and I am learning it. Good writing in English requires both good grammar and good organization. I think I will discuss with all of you here to study both. I have just found a useful book, and I think typing the content here is one of the good way to learn.
Today, I will introduce with you about writing a paragraph:

What is a paragraph?

An Overview
A paragraph is a basic unit of organization in writing in which a group of related sentences develops one main idea. A paragraph can be as short as one sentence or as long as ten sentences. The number of sentences is unimportant; however, the paragraph should be long enough to develop the main idea clearly.
The following model contains all off the elements of a good paragraph. Read it carefully two or three times and try to analyze its structure.

Gold​

Gold, a precious metal, is prized for two important characteristic. First of all, gold has a lustrous beauty that is resistant to corrosion. Therefore, it is suitable for jewelry, coins, and ornamental purposes. Gold never needs to be polished and will remain beautiful forever. For example, a Macedonian coin remains as untarnished today as the day it was minted twenty-three centuries ago. Another important characteristic of gold is its usefulness to industry and science. For many years, it has been used in hundreds of industrial applications. The most recent use of gold is in astronauts suits. Astronauts wear gold-plated heat shields for protection outside the spaceship. In conclusion, gold is treasured not only for its beauty, but also for tis utility.

The three parts of a paragraph
A paragraph has three major structural parts: a topic sentence, supporting sentences, and a concluding sentence.
The topic sentence states the main idea of the paragraph. It not only names the topic of the paragraph, but it also limits the topic to one or two areas that an be discussed completely in the space of a single paragraph. The specific area is called the controlling idea. Notice how the topic sentence of the model states both the topic and the controlling idea:
Gold, a precious metal, is prized for two important characteristic

Supporting sentences develop the topic sentence. That is, they explain the topic sentence by giving reasons, examples, facts, statistics, and quotations. Some of the supporting sentences that explain the topic sentence about gold are:

- First of all, gold has a lustrous beauty that is resistant to corrosion.
- For example, a Macedonian coin remains as untarnished today as the day it was minted twenty-three centuries ago.
- Another important characteristic of gold is its usefulness to industry and science.
- The most recent use of gold is in astronauts suits.

The concluding sentence signals the end of the paragraph and leaves the reader with important points to remember:

In conclusion, gold is treasured not only for its beauty, but also for its utility.

To be continuous.

T

tatylic

Why do nobody continue?Where're you?Let's continue, pl!

oanhho

Thành viên sắp được phong Thành viên Năng động
Tham gia
6/3/08
Bài viết
Điểm thành tích
Gold

Bác Đại Nghĩa ơi đang hay sao bổng dưng không tiếp tục nữa ạ. Bác post tiếp cho tụi em học với. Chờ bác lâu lắm rồi mà chẳng thấy bác đâu???:confused:

T

TranDaiNghia

What is a paragraph?

:) I thought that nobody care, now I will continuous

Two additional Elemments

In addition to the three structural parts of a paragraph, a good paragraph also has the elements of unity and coherence.

Unity means that you discuss only one main idea in a paragraph. The main idea is stated in the topic sentence, and then each and every supporting sentence develops that idea. If, for example, you announce in your topic sentence that you are going to discuss two important characteristics of gold, discuss only those. Do not discuss anything else such as the price of gold, the history of gold, or gold mining.

Coherence means that your paragraph is easy to read and understand because
(1) your supporting sentences are in some kind of logical order, and
(2) your ideas are connected by the use of appropriate transitions signals. For example, in the paragraph about gold, there are two main supporting ideas: gold is beautiful, and gold is useful. Each of these supporting ideas is discussed, one after the other, and an example is given for each one. This is one kind of logical order. Furthermore, the relationship between the ideas is clearly shown by using appropriate transition words and phrases such as "first of all," "the second important characteristic," "for example," and "in conclusion."

In summary, a well-written paragraph contains five elements: a topic sentences, supporting sentences, a concluding sentence, unity, and coherence.

In the first section of this course we will study and practice each of these elements.

Now is time to say goodbye, see you next time. I hope you enjoy our lesson.

oanhho

Thành viên sắp được phong Thành viên Năng động
Tham gia
6/3/08
Bài viết
Điểm thành tích
paragraph

Thank Bác Đại Ngĩa a lot. Hehe.
But when I write a paragraph, it is very hard to have enough 5 elements. So can you give me some examples and some exercises to practice. That can help me understand what you want to say clearly.
Bác ơi kỹ năng writting của cháu là kém nhất đấy ạ. Bác ra bài tập cho cháu luyện với. hehe:D
Lần nữa cảm ơn bác về bài hướng dẫn rất hay!!!

T

thy

Hi Unclue Dai Nghia.

I'm very like learn English but curent now MyEnghlish is verry bad, how have you help me?
I will try,do you help me!
Have you bestime on weekend.

Bởi Chủ đề tương tự Forum Replies Date
chinhnd Lập trình VBA 0

Chủ đề tương tự